Dear Hofstra Community Members,
We at Student Health and Counseling Center (SHACC) are truly grateful for the many voices that joined together recently to create a focus on counseling support on our campus. Discussions have yielded useful and important recommendations for ways to best connect students with information and resources. Based on these conversations it is clear that we need to distribute information that is reflective of the services we provide. While, Student Counseling Services is not established to offer primary care, or long term treatment, it is important to note the following:
- - Any student who identifies an emergent concern will be seen promptly by a counselor for evaluation.
- - No student will ever be turned away or charged a fee for urgent consultation support.
- - All counseling groups are offered each semester at no cost. There are no limits to the number of group counseling sessions that students may attend.
- - On-call counselors are available to respond to urgent counseling concerns on campus at all times when the office is not open.
- - Fee waivers for counseling are often granted in consultation with the counselor.
Our counseling staff are dedicated and caring professionals who are genuinely concerned with the wellbeing of our students. We encourage any student in need of support to visit our office, go to the website, or call to learn more about services available to them as Hofstra University students.
Dr. John Guthman
Student Health and Counseling Center
250 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549