Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Greetings From London!

Hofstra University drama major and former Undergraduate Assistant in the Office of Student Affairs, Megan Heverin, has spent the past few months studying abroad in London, England. She shares her experiences in the post below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!
Here I am (center) enjoying afternoon tea at Harrods.

Well, things have been really great here in London and I am learning so many things I couldn't anywhere else. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do as many touristy things as I would like because I've been in class essentially every day 9-6:30--and then sometimes I even have tutorials at night, but such is the life of a student abroad. That said, I have seen a lot of great theatre while I'm here, so I can't complain.

My friends and I by the Globe Theater.

It's amazing the kinds of people you meet in these programs. I'm in a class of 22 people all from completely different backgrounds: there is a mixture of college students and people who have been working in theater for awhile. One of my friends, who's name also happens to be Meghan, is currently playing Little Red Riding Hood on ABC'S Once Upon A Time. And then there are a handful of people who have worked on Broadway and shows like 30 Rock. We also have a guy who's an Austrian Pop star. Such an eclectic group of people--definitely one of the best things about studying abroad!

The faculty here is also incredible: essentially all of them have worked for the RSC (the national theatre) and have been on the West End (think London's Broadway). Many of them are still working, which is inspiring to say the least; and all of them are truly invested in how well each of their students does. They all love teaching and are fully dedicated to their work, it's really wonderful.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy what remains of summer no matter where you are! And if you ever get the opportunity, please go overseas while you're in college. You won't regret it!

- Megan

1 comment:

1. Yeah! Get abroad! I second that Megan! And get to London - especially you drama students! Having worked in London's Theatreland all my life organising educational courses for students from all over the world it so nice to hear feedback. And I agree - getting input from current industry practioners is so important and so inspiring for any student!

ReplyDelete