Friday, February 27, 2015

Engaging with the World as a Global Mentor

Being a Global Mentor is like tasting little pieces of the world without ever having to get on a plane, and, as a sufferer of the infamous travel bug, it is one of the most rewarding experiences of my Hofstra career so far.

Mentoring, like any multicultural occasion, is a combination of give and take. Not only did I attempt to impart my Hofstra knowledge on the new students, (which mostly consisted of the secrets to the LIRR) I also wanted to learn from them, about their culture, their language and anything really that they would share with me.

As an international student myself, going in, one of my hopes was to somehow help new students make Hofstra their home away from home. Coming from Zimbabwe I feel like I can relate to all the new international students because we experience a lot of similar things when coming to Hofstra, which made being a mentor sort of like helping “young me.” Taking everyone into Manhattan for the first time and experiencing Fall Fest and generally helping the mentees find clubs and organizations on campus that they would be interested in, is a lot easier through the global mentor program. We build relationships with our mentees, where they feel comfortable enough with us to ask for help. As a biochemistry major, I was also able to help some of my fellow science majors in their studies, advising them on textbooks and what to expect with different classes.

I must say that one of my favorite parts of being a global mentor is the people I get to work with. As mentors, we spend a lot of time together not only throughout orientation, but also during training, so it is no surprise that we have become good friends, who to this day still hangout whenever we can! All in all, being a global mentor is more than simply helping new international students acclimate to the United States, it's about gaining two new groups of amazing friends that you would never have had the chance to meet otherwise!

Guest Blogger:
Muthoni Mahachi
Sophomore
Biochemistry and Fine Arts Major
Global Mentor Fall 2014 and Spring 2015

The Fall 2014 Global Mentor team
The Global Mentor program is a part of Hofstra's Peer Mentor Initiative. Both international students and domestic students are encouraged to apply.

Apply for our next group of Peer Mentors!

3 tracks to choose from:
•         Commuter Mentors 
These mentors work with new commuter students. For more information, contact commuters@hofstra.edu
•         Global Mentors
These mentors work with new international students. For more information, contact international@hofstra.edu
•         Involvement Mentors
These mentors work with new residential students. For more information, contact osla@hofstra.edu

Apply online today! Applications are due Friday, March 6, 2015!

0 comments:

Post a Comment