Friday, July 8, 2016

Rose Mina - Sophomore of the Year

This year, Rose Mina, an international student was named Sophomore of the Year at the Hofstra Student Leadership Awards ceremony held on May 1, 2016. Rose shares some of her story as an international student leading up to being awarded Sophomore of the Year below.

My name is Rose Mina and I am from Kenya. I just completed my sophomore year and I am studying Finance and Mathematics.

My experience at Hofstra has been great. What I love most about Hofstra is the education experience. The professors are very committed in their work and they are approachable. What I learn in class is easily applicable to real life. Moreover, the class sizes enable me to have personal attention with my professors.

I also love my school because it has many opportunities for students to be involved and thus become well-rounded students.

I am involved in different clubs such as the African Student Association, HINT (Hofstra International) and for two years I was a Pride Guide. I am also a Global Mentor, and my role is to mentor new international students and help them in their adjustment to the new school and country.

All the above co-curricular activities have enabled me gain valuable experience on how to relate with people. I am also growing as a leader. At the end of the 2016 spring semester, I was humbled to be named Sophomore of the Year due to my involvement on campus. I am excited for what the remaining half of college has for me. I like challenging myself and Hofstra is giving me the platform to face challenges and growth experiences that are shaping me to become a leader who will hopefully bring change to society.

Guest Blogger: Rose N. Mina
Junior – BBA in Finance

International Student Affairs wishes to extend congratulations to Rose on being chosen as Sophomore of the Year.

0 comments: