Sunday, November 11, 2012

Presidential Debate 2012 through the eyes of Hofstra’s International Students

With the presidential election now at a close, we take time to reflect on that exciting moment that many of our student population enjoyed when Hofstra University had the privilege of hosting the 2012 Presidential Debate on October 16. 2012. Hofstra University’s participation in the U.S. Presidential Debate was an amazing experience and opportunity for every Hofstra student, faculty and staff member to be part of United States History!! Hofstra PRIDE was visible in the eyes and smiles of every student!

As the candidates debated about foreign affairs and the United States’ presence in the world, many lucky international students studying at Hofstra were listening inside the debate hall, as they were chosen to attend the Presidential Debate. These are some of their stories, memories and thoughts from that special day, which offer profound insight and perspective to the United States’ electoral process. 

Lucky lottery winners to win a ticket to the U.S. Presidential Debate…

I checked the email box on October 16 at 12:30 am.  I was so excited at that moment. - Shengxing Zhang, First Year Grad Student, Finance, from China

I was jumping in happiness!  -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

It's  unbelievable. This kind of lucky thing never happens to me. So it took a few minutes for me to believe it was true! –Xi Yuan, First Year Graduate Student, Accounting, from China

Funny or interesting stories about winning a ticket to the debate…

Roommates Anqi Wang & Xiaohan Sun
I read the email for about 10-15 times, it is the only email I have ever paid extreme attention to.  -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

I don’t check school email so frequently, especially on the weekend. I am so glad I did and didn't miss the big show in my life. Now I change my habit to check my email many times every day.  – Xiaoting Hu, Graduate Student, Finance, from China

My roommate, Anqi Wang won the ticket 3 days before Debate Day and I won a ticket one day before Debate. All of our friends were jealous of us and they think we live in a lucky house!  - Xiaohan Sun, Graduate Student, Marketing, from China

When I first saw the email, I screamed and ran out of my room to tell my roommate. She was totally scared by my screaming. – Xi Yuan, First Year Graduate Student, Accounting, from China

Seeing President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney live in the debate arena….

Seeing the president of United States is just a dream come true. I would love to shake his hand. -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

I feel so proud I am at Hofstra and I could have this chance to witness this moment.  – Xiaoting Hu, Graduate Student, Finance, from China

Laura Magistrali & Brianne Jorgensen
I come from China and I never saw President Hu in my country but I saw President Obama in the U.S.! That indicates America is a free and Democratic country. - Xiaohan Sun, Graduate Student, Marketing, from China
 Zarb Business School Students

Favorite moments or memories of the debate…

When they were interrupting each other. President Obama’s well calculated interruptions and near sarcastic words, “proceed governor, not true governor” -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

In the end, President Obama repeated "the American Dream". I am excited because this country still sticks to this belief. – Xiaoting Hu, Graduate Student, Finance, from China

I am so proud  of Hofstra University! I felt so happy to be a Hofstra student at that moment. You have no idea how I love my school! I will remember this moment forever in my life. - Xiaohan Sun, Graduate Student, Marketing, from China

Thoughts of American political debates and town hall style…

The debates are a clear indication of how far ahead America is compared to other countries. The town hall system is good as it get the candidates on a surprise. It is one way of extracting honest answers from them. -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

Mohammad Khadim
 I really appreciate American political debates. It is fair, public, and correct.  Then everyone can vote by their own idea and everyone participates to decide the future of their country.  - Xiaohan Sun, Graduate Student, Marketing, from China

Debate is a great way for people to learn about the candidates, about their policies and personalities. People can ask candidates directly the things they care most about. – Xi Yuan, First Year Graduate Student, Accounting, from China

It was great. I consider this a democracy in action not just in words only!   -Mohammad Khadim, First Year Law Student, from Afghanistan

Political debates in your home country…

No, you cannot put political opponents in the same room, they will fight.   -Daniel Rono, Senior, Accounting, from Kenya

Blog by: Sonia Fernandes, Assistant Director, Multicultural and International Student Programs Office
A special thanks to the students that contributed their photos and stories. 

0 comments: