Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thanksgiving Homestay

During this Thanksgiving break, the Office of Parent and Family Programs and the Multicultural & International Student Programs Office (MISPO) offered a “Thanksgiving Homestay” for Hofstra students to experience this U.S. Holiday at someone’s home.  Last year, two international students celebrated with one family.  This year, two families of current Hofstra students hosted six international students.  This was the first Thanksgiving for most of these students.  Here is the student account of their stay: 

From Xiaokan Chen, the J-1 exchange student from China:

“I really enjoyed the Thanksgiving at the Mohammed family. They are very nice and wonderful people! We had great dinner, pleasant chats and watched a wonderful movie together. Thank you so much for such a wonderful program! This would be one of my best experience in America.”

From Yina Peng, the first year graduate school student from China:

“I really appreciate that I had this wonderful experience. This is a great chance to get familiar with the American life and different custom. 

I stayed with Mr. Murray, Alan's family for three days. And I learned a lot of American and Latin American traditional food. Everything was so new to me. We cooked the thanksgiving dinner together and drove around their small town. We had a lot of fun and I hope I can keep in contact with this nice family. 

I'm very grateful to the Office of Parent and Family Programs, MISPO, and this wonderful volunteer family! ”

If your family is interested in hosting students for future events (both international and U.S. students who can’t get home for Thanksgiving), please have them contact parents@hofstra.edu.

1 comment:

1. wow, this is wonderful
    i hope can enjoy this moment someday

ReplyDelete