Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Join Me--Commit to the Code

What I love most about the start of the academic year is that it marks a new chapter in the history of this great university.  Hofstra's history, not unlike that of countries around the globe, was shaped-and continues to be shaped-by political, economic, cultural, social, and technological forces.  History can be described as a living textbook: Each day adds a new page, and I expect each of you to contribute to Hofstra's history book.  Most of the time, you will do so without even thinking about it.  At other times it requires your active participation.  Today, I am asking you to act.  Stand up and make a personal commitment to the Hofstra University Honor Code.  Yes, I too, am asking you to "Commit to the Code."

As a member of this community, I value the exceptional education our students receive, in and out of the classroom.  Moreover, I am privileged to work at an institution with a mission that promises to "provide a quality education . . . in an environment that encourages, nurtures, and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas, for the betterment of humankind . . . Academic excellence guides everything the University undertakes."  I trust that your Hofstra education will not only prepare you for the future, but will fuel your search for both purpose and meaning.

There is no doubt that we are at a pivotal point in our history, as Hofstra is a school on the move.  Join me in making Hofstra not only known for academic excellence but as a place that has a granite-like foundation in academic and personal integrity among all its members--"Commit to the Code."

Best,
Sandra S. Johnson Ed.D
Vice President for Student Affairs

1 comment:

1. Thanks for the article. It's very insightful and addresses something I believe is very important to know. Great post!

ReplyDelete