Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Fever!

It's clear to see that spring is now in full bloom all over campus. The Hofstra tulips are back, and the campus is buzzing with sunshine and warmer weather.

I don't know about all of you, but I'm already dreaming of summer -- sunshine, the beach, picnics, watermelon, swimming....

BUT WAIT! We still have to make it through almost 5 more weeks of classes and finals?!? How are we going to make it?

As a student myself who's graduating this May, I find myself wondering how I will keep up my motivation when everyone around me seems to have a bad case of "senioritis" -- even those who AREN'T graduating this May! It's hard to come back after a week of rest and relaxation to a ton of work that still needs to be done, but here are some tips to help you finish off the semester strong:

1. As much as you want to, don't procrastinate! It's really easy to start procrastinating all of the assignments and studying you need to do after the break, but putting things off is only going to make it harder on you in the long run. Break down your assignments and studying into smaller tasks, and cross them off your list one day at a time.

2. Schedule in some fun time. It's easy to feel dragged down by all that's left to do and to feel like you should hide away in your room until everything is finished. But for your own sanity and mental health, it's important to schedule in some fun time. Check out your RA's programs, join a Relay for Life team, or go with some friends to Music Fest. There are still plenty of fun events going on in April and May - make sure you check them out and give yourself a break!

3. Start planning for summer now. It's easy to get so caught up in what you need to do today that you forget to plan for the coming months ahead, but now is the time to plan for your summer months. Need a summer job? Check out the job postings at Pride CMS (through My Apps on the Hofstra portal) and make an appointment with the Career Center. Do you live on campus? Now is the time to figure out when you'll need to move out of your residence hall. Check your final exam schedule and look for flyers with more information on check-outs around your residence hall.

Though it may seem like a lifetime from now, these next 5 weeks will fly by, so take advantage of the time you have to study hard, prepare for finals, and enjoy some down time with your friends. Summer will be here soon enough!

~Stacie Mitchell, Assistant Resident Director, Colonial Square

0 comments:

Post a Comment