Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Guacamole Day...MISPO Style

The Office of Multicultural and International Student Programs added a little bit of spice to life today with a cultural event entitled “Guacamole Tasting” as part of the Latino/Hispanic heritage month events. The event celebrated Latino/Hispanic Heritage Month with a hands-on approach. Chef Fernando demonstrated how to select ingredients, and properly mash and combine ingredients into the green goodness. With the help of two student volunteers the “house specialty” was whipped up for sampling.

Chef Fernando and his students!
Students making their own Guacamole

After the event, I got a chance to chat with Chef Fernando about the art of guacamole making. He says that the secret is all in the mix and your own creativity. When it comes to guacamole, the combinations are endless! After our chat, I got a chance to mix up some of my own guacamole. My personal creation consisted of avocados, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and some taco seasoning. I was surprised at how much mashing is involved in getting the avocados to that great creamy texture. Fernando also warned me against over mashing and mixing which leads to a watery guacamole! When I was finally done mashing it and mixing it, I was surprised at how delicious it was!

Chef Lauren!
Stay tuned for more MISPO celebrations and events as Latino/Hispanic Heritage Month continues and be sure to check out the LGBTQ calendar of events. 

Lauren Krampen, Guest Blogger
Senior, English Major

0 comments: