Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bone Marrow Drive - SHARE THE LOVE, JOIN THE FIGHT

As DKMS says, "SHARE THE LOVE, JOIN THE FIGHT."

DKMS is the world's largest marrow donor center. Too often when a bone marrow transplant is the cure there simply isn't a donor. The DKMS mission is to fight blood cancer and save lives by registering bone marrow donors for patients in need.

In cooperation with DKMS, Hofstra co-hosted a bone marrow drive, in conjunction with the university’s semi-annual blood drive, for former student Dionis Guerrero Baez, who is battling leukemia.

Yesterday's event was a great success with 84 people receiving swabs to join the international registry.

Help somebody else to live. This inspired everyone, including me. I am now officially a proud, registered bone marrow donor. There is no better feeling than knowing you can possibly save somebody's life. I truly hope my bone marrow will match Dionis Guerrero Baez's or anybody else's in the world. I am so glad Hofstra supports this cause. It encouraged me to do so, and hopefully many others. You can make a difference. 

All those 84 individuals that took part in the bone marrow drive, are now in the international bone marrow donor registry. They can be a match to all of the many people fighting blood cancer around the world.

Share your love and you will receive love. I know we will find a match for Dionis Guerrero Baez to enable him to live the life he dreams of and be able to fulfill his wish to resume his studies at Hofstra University. I cannot wait to see him walk through campus, healthy, with a smile on his face. YOU can help make this happen. I hope I did.

If you missed the event yesterday, then you can visit the DKMS website and register online. You will receive your Do-It-Yourself cheek swab kit in the mail, collect your sample and send it to the lab for tissue typing.
You might be a match and help somebody else to live the life they dream of.

SHARE THE LOVE, JOIN THE FIGHT!

0 comments: