Thursday, February 2, 2012

Apply Now to Welcome the Class of 2016!

Applications for Orientation Leaders and Welcome Week Coordinators (WWC) are due on Thursday, March 1, 2012 by 12:00 p.m. to 260 Student Center. I must admit, I have a special affinity for all things orientation, as serving as an Orientation Leader (OL) is what sparked my own interest in pursuing a career as a college administrator. (See if you can pick me out of the vintage picture taken with my fellow OLs at my alma mater back in the 1990s.)

My desire to be an OL came from my own experience as a new college student, when I had a rather rocky transition to college. Like many new students, I struggled to find my social niche; the study skills that made me a high honors student in high school were not as effective at the college level; I was on the rocks with my long-distance high school boyfriend; and my attempts at coping with all this stress were less than productive. Sound familiar? I always believed that if I'd had someone older and wiser to guide me through the process my college transition would have been much smoother.

Fast forward three years: I was thrilled when I received a coveted and competitive spot on the orientation staff. The experience was extremely fun, but I also took my job very seriously. I was determined that my orientees would have a good experience, and even followed up with them throughout the year, after my official OL duties had ended. There was one orientee in particular, Scott, who I took under my wing, as I could see he was struggling. I checked in on him frequently and even tutored him in psychology, my major, as he was doing poorly in the class. One of the best moments of the semester was when Scott, who had gotten involved with the theater group on campus, presented me with a rose to thank me for helping him get a B+ on his psychology final. It was nice to feel like I had made a difference. Eventually, I learned that I could make a career out of helping college students, and here I am today.

My hope is that there are many of you out there who also have a desire to make a difference, help your fellow students, and serve Hofstra as an OL or WWC. Not only do these positions help the University, but they help you build important leadership skills that will transfer into that future career of yours. Check the Student Leadership and Activities website for details on how to apply. All applicants must attend one of the information sessions, which will take place over the next few weeks. Think of all the potential "Scotts" out there and consider applying. I hope to see your application!

0 comments: